Wednesday, September 15

Why?

Why do you do it? 
Why do you put yourself through such pain? 
A bike ride in the middle of the day, are you CRAZY?
Doesn't it get boring?
Why are you pushing yourself so hard? For what?

I've been asked these questions quite a lot lately and to tell you the truth, I haven't really given it much thought until now. Well, for those who don't really know me, I try and train about six times per week with a rest day during Thursdays. I usually sneak in short mileages through out the weekdays and do my long runs/rides/swims during the weekends.

I've felt that I have dedicated my life into this so much that I can't seem to see myself doing anything but it. It has basically taken over my life (I hope that's a good thing).

Going back to the question, WHY? How can you do this, day in and day out, but still be able to get back the next day and do it all over again? To tell you the truth, I've found the answer through my past.

I was never really an achiever during my early days. To put it quite bluntly, I was one of those kids who you wouldn't want your own sons or daughters hanging around with. Nor was I one of those guys who the professor was clearly fond off. I was an early smoker at the age of 14, around second year high school and was also into a lot of other mischief in relation with that. A year later I got booted out of school and had to move. In my later years, it didn't get any better. I was clearly unprepared for college and basically only took two entrance exams (where in I was drunk in both instances) which I obviously failed.

In a nutshell, I've had a lot of mistakes. I've also had a lot of people give up on me. I know each one of them, I saw how they looked at me with that face, thinking I will never amount to anything. Not one of them even tried to talk to me and lead me properly. Basically they just assumed I would grow up to be that way.

Well today I am not that person, I've believe I have grown as a better man. Not realizing it till now, I think the sport is what has brought me to be that person. The sport has taught me how to be patient, work hard, and to always believe in yourself with the work you do, cause it will pay off.

So, why do I do this?

Well its for that person who takes his first step in changing his life, its for all the people who gave up on me, its for the people who believed in me, its for the ones who push themselves farther to find out who they really are, its for that person who dreams, and its for love of the sport.

If ever I were sent to one of those group therapy sessions, well these guys would be my support group 

6 comments:

journeyingjames said...

sama din ako sa group therapy sessions! anr pala ang nandun e

kassy said...

Hey! can you send me an email with your contact details and address? you won from the UNILAB contest! Thanks! :)

runkassyrun@gmail.com

me! me! me! said...

Hi elmer. Im jayne nainspire ako sa blog mo specially the WHY portion. Its amazing to know how sports made a great change in you life, i always thought that sports is just for recreation but you gave a deeper meaning in it. Honestly i know you personally or shall i say professionally but i doubt if you know me too. Upon reading your blog I appreciate you more as a person because only few people can prove that they can be better persons despite of their past mistakes. i hope i can be one of them too. i also admire the simplicity in you.

Thank you for making this blog and allowing other people to read it coz it really inspire me to strive harder and achieve the same change you did for yourself.

That RUNI portion really deceives me. haha I wanted to post my no. to get to know you more but Im afraid that you will just take this message for granted. so please do reply.

Take care

bbbboys said...

Hi Sir Elmer, Invite ko po kayo sa isang event:

The University of the Philippines Industrial Engineering Club
Asia Brewery and Rexona
invite you to join

LUNTIRUN
Make every route greener
on March 27, 2011
in Filinvest Corporate City, Alabang

Distances:
1.5km (for 12 years old and below)/ 3km / 6km / 12km

Registration fee:
1.5km – 300php // 3km – 350php // 6km – 400php // 12km – 450php
(RACE KIT includes: Event Singlet, Race bib and stub for 20% off on regular priced New Balance item)


UP Students may register at the UP IE Club Tambayan (3rd flr, Melchor Hall)

You may also register online at http://runnersrunner.com/luntirun
Check out our FACEBOOK page at http://facebook.com/luntirun

Other registration sites are:

-NEW BALANCE shops (Festival Mall, Alabang || Shangri-la Plaza) - Saturdays & Sundays only from 1-6:30pm,
- BIKE KING (Bonifacio High Street)
- SECONDWIND shops (45 Malingap St. Teachers Village, QC || Ortigas Home Depot, PASIG CITY)
- MJ46 Factory Outlet (Bicutan)
- The Village Sports Club (BF Homes Parañaque)
(Registration is until March 20 only!)

This event is for the benefit of the Isko Cleans UP, a project to implement solid waste management in the University of the Philippines – Diliman.



For inquiries, contact MIMI LUCAS at 09178158227 or email us at luntirun@gmail.com .


Salamat po! Please spread the word. Keep on Running!

LuntiRUN said...

LuntiRUN— Make every route greener 27-March-2011 Filinvest Corporate City, Alabang. for the Isko Clean UP Movement!

Run for the Environment!

March 27, 2011
Filinvest Corporate City, Alabang

1.5 km for 12 y.o. and under
3km, 6km and 12km for Everyone.

TOP 3 get Medals and Giveaways!
TOP 3 Male and Female (Elite Category) get CASH PRIZE!

Online registration is available at
Runner Runner
http://www.runnersrunner.com/store/events/luntirun.html
Google
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dExENWtFR1NBN3c4UmtWLXlQa2dKS3c6MQ

Registration is until March 21, 2011

http://www.facebook.com/luntirun
luntirun@gmail.com
LuntiRUN

Grace D. Chong said...

You have not blogged for sometime, Elmer. Busy?